The following information is for applicants of Hokkaido University who wish to enter as Special Research Students at the Graduate Level – 2021-2022. For those who wish to take courses in English, please see “Degree programs in English,” “Hokkaido Summer Institute,” and “Exchange Programs in English.”
|Special Research Student (Graduate) -SRS-|
Half year or full year programs in which students are assigned to a particular graduate school and undertake research centered on their specialized areas same as regular students.
|Application Form||Issued on nomination basis|
|Nomination Deadline||[Fall Semester 2021] March 23, 2021|
|[Spring Semester 2022] October 12, 2021|
China Scholarship Council (CSC) *Chinese Universities Only*
CSC applicants must be nominated at least one month before the deadline above. If you have CSC applicants, please contact us earlier.
CSC Joint Scholarship Program Researchers are accepted as SRS at HU. They need to be nominated and go through application procedures as SRS applicants. If a student individually contacts a professor and gets permission, the procedures will be ineffective or incomplete. Please go through proper application procedures through home university exchange office and Student Exchange Division HU.
[Fall Semester 2021] April 23, 2021
[Spring Semester 2022] November 12, 2021
[Fall Semester 2021] Around July 2021
[Spring Semester 2022] Late January 2021
(half year or full year)
[Fall Semester 2021] October 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022
|[Spring Semester 2022] April 1, 2022 – September 30, 2022|
|In principle, one semester or one year but applicant may choose on a monthly basis if prospective supervisor agrees.|
|Number of Students||
Decided on a yearly basis.
There will be a screening at each graduate school. Not all applicants will be accepted.
Students who meet the following:
1. High academic record at home university in the field of desired graduate school
2. English or Japanese fluency in order to communicate with academic supervisor
1. (Before applying) Students contact a professor to request academic supervision and receive unofficial agreement.
2. Home university coordinator nominates students by submitting the nomination sheet.
* The nomination sheet will be provided on request basis.
3. Hokkaido University provides the latest application form based on the nomination.
4. Students prepare the application documents.
5. Home university coordinator submits the application documents.
6. Hokkaido University screens the application.
7. Hokkaido University notifies the screening results and gives further instruction.
1. Application form
2. Certificate of Enrollment from Home University
3. Recommendation letter
4. Transcript of academic record (Undergraduate/Graduate)
5. Photocopy of Certificate of JLPT (if any)
6. Photocopy of passport
7. Three photos (3×4 cm, color and clear)
This is general information and the required documents may vary depending on graduate schools.
|Credits||No credits are issued. Special Research Students only receive supervision.|
|Accommodation||University dormitory / Room assignment is decided by Hokkaido University.|