If you graduate from a regular full-time program and want to keep residing in Japan while searching for a job here, you may change your visa status to a “Designated Activities” visa. This visa allows you to stay for an additional six months after which you can once again apply for another six-month extension (effectively permitting you to remain in Japan for a further one year after graduating).
Required Documents for a “Designated Activities” Visa:
- Application for Change of Status of Residence
- Residence Card (or Alien registration card if still valid)
- Documents certifying that you can defray all the expenses incurred during the stay in Japan such as bank statements etc.
- Graduation Certificate
- Recommendation from the university. Please ask at the Academic Affairs section of your department
- Documents certifying that you are job-hunting – these can be emails from prospective employers concerning interview arrangements, etc.
- Payment in the form of a revenue stamp purchased at the Immigration Bureau and pasted on a “Certificate for Payment of Fee” form.
- Notification of the accepting organization