The mission of the School of Medicine is to help undergraduates develop the professional ethics and well-rounded characters required for medical professionals; to help them acquire sophisticated medical knowledge and skills and learn to continually improve them throughout their professional careers; and to help them learn to work with other professionals to provide advanced medical care as a team.
- Have you taken the EJU?
- The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) is used to evaluate the Japanese language proficiency and the basic academic abilities of international students wishing to study at the undergraduate level at universities or other such higher educational institutions in Japan. See Admission requirements for scores. For detailed information, please visit the JASSO website here.
- Have you obtained 12 years or more of education?
- Do you have advanced Japanese?
You need a very good command of the Japanese language, equivalent to level N1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test to enter as an undergraduate student. (knowledge of around 2000 Kanji, + a 10,000 word vocabulary)
1. Read and understand the online application procedures issued by Hokkaido University and submit your application via the web page here.
Paper-based application forms are no longer available.
2. Entry Assessment takes place in February and there are two stages involved.
1st Stage : Application document screening
2nd Stage : Interview / Short Essay. At this stage, your English Proficiency is also assessed and a TOEFL certificate* must be submitted.
3. Wait for your results!
4. Results announced in early March. Get ready to begin your Hokudai Experience!
*Dept. of Medicine: TOEFL PBT,TOEFL, or TOEIC (see requirements)
Dept. of Health Sciences: *TOEFL PBT,TOEFL, TOEIC, Cambridge, IELTS, and other examinations deemed equivalent may also be accepted
|FACULTY/ SCHOOL||EJU REQUIREMENTS||SELECTION METHODOLOGY|
|School of Medicine||Medicine
(6 year degree)
|EJU ‘Japanese as a Foreign Language’ 385 or higher (including writing aptitude). Total of ‘Science’ + ‘Mathematics’ 340 or higher.||Application Document Screening, Report, Interview, Submission of TOEFL
550 or higher on the TOEFL PBT, 79 or higher
on the TOEFL iBT, or 750 or higher on the TOEIC.
(4 year degree)
|EJU ‘Japanese as a Foreign Language’ 270 or higher (including writing aptitude). Total of ‘Science’ + ‘Mathematics’ 265 or higher.||Application Document Screening, Report, Interview, Submission of TOEFL*|
|* TOEFL PBT, TOEFL, TOEIC, CAMBRIDGE, IELTS and others examinations deemed equivalent may also be accepted.|
|Tuition fee||¥535,800 / $5,880 (per year)|
|Entrance fee||¥282,000 / $3,100|
|Examination fee||¥17,000 / $187|
(6 year degree)
|Introduction to Medicine, History of Medicine, Human Genetics, Anatomy and Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine and Medical Informatics, Public Health and Hygiene, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Reproductive and Surgery, Developmental Medicine, Psychiatry and Neurology, Sensory Organ Medicine, Reconstructive Surgery and Rehabilitation, Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine|
(4 year degree)
|Nursing, Radiological Technology, Medical Technology, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy|
Enter University as an undergraduate student?
For more information, please use the e-apply website.