The Japanese Language and Culture Studies Program (JLCSP) is a “junior year abroad” type program for undergraduate students majoring in Japanese language and culture. Each year international students from our partner universities and government-sponsored students come to Japan to take this enriching program. The JLCSP is renowned nationwide and provides classes of varying levels of difficulty (intermediate to advanced) to students of the Japanese language. You can also choose courses from our English curriculum or courses from the standard curriculum taken by Japanese students. If you would like to deepen your understanding of your particular field of independent study, or learn business Japanese, this course can help you achieve your goals. Also, Hokkaido University’s Sapporo campus is commonly thought of as the most beautiful campus in Japan.
Come and make your future in this wonderful environment together with other international and Japanese students!
Objectives of the Program:
The objectives of this program are:
- to improve students’ Japanese language proficiency to enable them to interact with Japanese speakers and conduct research in Japanese;
- to acquire basic knowledge and methodologies for Japanese studies particularly relating to general Japanese and applied linguistics;
- to gain a deeper understanding both of Japanese language and culture.
Outline of Program:
The program consists of two types of courses: courses in Japanese language and courses in Japanese linguistics, culture and society.
One year: October 2020 – Mid-August 2021
Half year: October 2020 – Mid-February 2021, Early April 2021 – Mid-August 2021
- Applicants must be a Japanese language and/or culture major enrolled in an undergraduate degree course at a university–wide agreement partners of Hokkaido University. First-year students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have N3 (or higher) on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test or the equivalent or higher proficiency in Japanese at the time of application. In particular, applicants should know 500 or more kanji and have the skill to understand conversation spoken at natural speed and read/write simple sentences.
Applications from students whose proficiency in Japanese does not meet the requirements will not be accepted. Any students who are found to be at the introductory level by the placement test which is conducted by Hokkaido University after arrival will not be able to complete the program.
- Applicants must possess a good academic record at university level.
Conditions for Completion:
A certificate of completion will be given to students who satisfactorily earn 20 credits (10 credits for the half year program) or more throughout the period of the program.
Where to Apply:
The application form for the next intake is available now. Please submit the application form and any additional documents to the office responsible for student exchanges at your university. Application documents must not be sent directly to Hokkaido University. The deadlines for submission are as follows:
One year: February 14th, 2020
Half-year (2020 Fall Semester): February 14th, 2020
Half-year (2021 Spring Semester): October 31st, 2020
Half-Year (2021 Spring Semester) applicants should submit their applications in October, not February.
Number of Students Accepted:
One year: 40
Half year: 20
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship: