The Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program (HUSTEP) is a ‘junior year abroad’ type program designed to provide undergraduate students from affiliated universities with the opportunity to study in Japan at Hokkaido University. Participants in this program take a wide variety of classes offered in English in HUSTEP’s two core divisions: Culture and Society, and Science, Technology, and Environment. Students also have the chance to study the Japanese language. In addition, some participants can pursue independent research under the guidance of a faculty member. There will also be opportunities to take part in numerous traditional and contemporary Japanese cultural activities. Finally, students admitted to the program are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
HUSTEP provides a safe and caring environment in which to carry out your academic studies and broaden your horizons. Participating in HUSTEP will help prepare you for the future and will provide you with knowledge and experiences that will last a lifetime. In addition, it is a wonderful opportunity to meet and make friends with many Japanese people and international students from all around the world who come to study at Hokkaido University. We would like to invite motivated university students from ALL disciplines to participate in HUSTEP.
The application form for HUSTEP 2024-2025 is now available!
To be eligible to apply for HUSTEP, students must:
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program at an overseas university that has concluded a student exchange agreement with Hokkaido University.
- Be enrolled and pay tuition fees at their home university as a full-time student during the entire period of study in Japan.
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate study at their own university prior to arrival in Japan.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent.
- Be proficient in English. Non-native English speakers must have a score of at least TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5.*
- Be able to arrive by late September or first week of April.
*A different internationally-recognized English test result such as CEFR (at least C1) may be accepted. TOEIC and Duolingo are not accepted.
Number of Students Accepted:
Approximately 50 students for each course.
There is a screening process and NOT all students who apply will be accepted. Japanese language ability is not required to participate in HUSTEP. Those students whose main focus is studying Japanese language and are majoring in Japanese Studies should consider applying to the Japanese Language and Culture Studies Program (JLCSP) instead of HUSTEP.
There are a limited number of scholarships available so most students will have to cover their own costs. Although the cost of living in Japan varies for each individual, it will cost about 120,000 yen per month. Thus, students should have enough money saved up to pay for one year of living costs or make other financial arrangements before coming to Japan. Students should be clear that HUSTEP is strictly a study program.
Even if students receive a scholarship, the first payment will be made one month after arrival. Students must bring money to pay for their dormitory fee and living costs for their first month.
Students interested in HUSTEP should first consult with an academic advisor at their home institution. On approval by the advisor, applicants may obtain the necessary forms from the International Office (or its equivalent) at their home institution, complete the forms, and submit them to Hokkaido University through the home institution’s International Office. Do not send applications directly to Hokkaido University.
For more information, please read the Guidelines for Applying to HUSTEP
Information for the Student Exchange Coordinator at the student’s home university:
Please download the following HUSTEP application form and other required documents:
- Cover Page HUSTEP 2024-2025 Application Form (PDF)
- HUSTEP Application Form 2024-2025 (Excel)
- Recommendation Letter (PDF)
- Certificate of Health (PDF)
- Certificate of Enrollment (PDF)
- Consent to Transfer and Process Personal Data (For EEA students only) (PDF)
NOTICE: Based on GDPR, students from EU and EEA countries need to submit the “Consent to Transfer and Process Personal Data” form with the other application materials.
Guidelines for Handling Your Personal Data
February 9, 2024
*The application deadline cannot be extended.
The application package should include the following documents:
1) Completed HUSTEP application form (with Cover Page)
2) Completed Certificate of Enrollment Form
3) Recommendation Letter from an academic supervisor
4) Official Transcript of academic record
5) University Grading System
6) Certificate of Health
7) Digital photo data
8) TOEFL, IELTS or CEFR score (non-native English speakers only)
9) Photocopy of your passport
10) Consent to Transfer and Process Personal Data (For EEA students only)
Please give these forms to students who want to apply for HUSTEP. After students complete this form and submit the other required documents, please send the complete student application package to the following e-mail:
Tomoe Sasaki (Ms.)
HUSTEP Administrative coordinator
Student Exchange Division
Academic Affairs Department
– The applicant’s last name and university name must be included in the subject title and the file title.
– Partner universities should submit each student’s application form only once.
– Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
To assist international exchange students, the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) offers the following scholarship to a limited number of students. The Student Exchange Support Program (Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan) includes a monthly stipend as follows:
¥80,000 per month for five or eleven months. Applicants who may have difficulty covering the costs of their studies in Japan are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must, upon completion of the term of exchange, return to their home institutions to resume their studies or to be awarded their degrees.
- Applicants must not be recipients of scholarship awards from other organizations if the combined value of these additional scholarships exceeds ¥80,000 per month.
- Applicants who may have difficulty covering the costs of their studies in Japan on their own.
- Applicants must be in Japan during exchange period to receive the scholarship.
*Please note that due to a limited number of scholarships offered, only a few students will be able to receive them.