Contact Us

This FAQ presents some of the most frequently asked questions we receive regarding the university. Please click on the categories below to view the Q&As.

1) I’m lost! Are there any maps of the campuses available?

Visitor maps of the Sapporo Campus, Hakodate Campus, and more can be found on the Visitor Access page (mobile friendly).

2) The campus is huge! Are there any shuttle buses?

Information about the shuttle bus (Sapporo campus only) can be found here. Please note that the shuttle bus can be used by visitors for business use and staff members, but not normally by students and tourists.

3) I want to explore the university. Are there any interactive maps of the campus available?

We actually do have an interactive map available that explores not only both campuses but also the greater Hokkaido area. Check out the map here to discover more about western and southern Hokkaido.

Admissions information
1) Are there any undergraduate programs offered in English?

At the present, we offer a bachelor’s degree in English, the Integrated Science Program (ISP), and a bilingual program the Modern Japanese Studies Program (MJSP). Please refer to their respective websites for further information.

With the exception of the ISP and MJSP, all other undergraduate programs require a high proficiency of the Japanese language. Please refer to our Undergraduate Admissions page and the University’s Admission Center (in Japanese) for more information concerning the application process.

2) Are there any short-term courses available?

The Hokkaido Summer Institute offers short-term undergraduate and graduate level courses. These courses are offered in English, and cover a variety of subjects. Other short-term programs and summer schools take place occasionally. Please check our website news for the most up to date information.

There are also a number of short-term courses available through our partner universities. If you are a student from one of our partner universities and are interested in joining a course, please contact your university’s international student office for more information.

3) I’m a student from a partner university and want to study at Hokkaido University as an exchange student. What options are available to me?

General information about exchange programs can be found on the Exchange Student Admission page. For more information, please check with your university’s international office.

4) Are there any graduate programs offered in English?

A full list of postgraduate level courses offered in English can be found on our Graduate Admissions page. Many courses related to science and engineering are available in English.

Finally, if you are interested in undertaking postgraduate studies in engineering, the English Engineering Education Program (e3) is one of the few programs nationwide to cover most fields in engineering at this level.

1) Does Hokkaido University have an alumni network?

Yes, we very much encourage you to join our alumni network as we want to expand our global connections and stay in touch with you. 

2) Does the university have a magazine or newsletter I can read to keep up to date with recent events?

We have started an online newsletter titled the “Hokkaido University Times” to keep you informed of recent news and research from the university. Besides this, you can read up on the latest news on our website here (RSS available), or you can take a look at our past magazines here.

Student Life
1) Where can I find information on the types of accommodation available while studying at the university?

Various kinds of housing are available according to the needs of the applicant. In addition to the student dormitories, there are separate accommodation for researchers, and homestay programs available. Information about university-affiliated accommodation and the process to rent accommodation unaffiliated with the university can be found on the university’s housing page.

2) I am planning to enroll as an international student. Do you have any information on relevant academic programs, student life, and life in Sapporo?

Information about admission and scholarships can be found in the International Student Prospectus. The prospectus also includes general information about the university, tuition, life in Sapporo, etc.

Research Institutes and Researchers
1) I am interested in graduate studies, but I am having problems locating a professor’s contact information.

Contact details of academics can be located using the HU Researcher Database. Please use this database to find researchers who can potentially supervise your dissertation/thesis.

2) What research institutes are there at Hokkaido University?

A full list of the research institutes and centers at Hokkaido University can be found on our Research Institutes and Centers page.

3) I’m searching for an academic work published by Hokkaido University, but am unable to find it. Is there a database logging publications and other scholarly work done by those affiliated with the university?

Please check out the Hokkaido University Collection of Scholarly and Academic Papers (HUSCAP).

Student Fees and Scholarships
1) Where can I find information on student fees as an international or transfer student?

Information about examination and entrance fees, as well as tuition, can be found on the Student Fees page.

2) What scholarships are available?

There are a number of scholarships available by the university, Japanese government, and private institutions. In addition to these, there may also be private and government scholarships which can be applied to from within your home country. More details about scholarships can be found on our Scholarships page, the International Student Prospectus, and the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO). For scholarships related to the university, please refer to the following website here. Incidentally, if you have questions regarding future scholarship deadlines, please bear in mind that the next application periods are expected to be similar to the previous one.

1) My university is interested in becoming a partner with Hokkaido University.

In order to ensure the sustainability of our partnerships, we generally require that your university have an academic relationship with a faculty member from Hokkaido University. As such, please first discuss the possibility with your affiliate at Hokkaido University or with your faculty member affiliated with Hokkaido University.

2) I am interested in working for Hokkaido University. What jobs are currently available?

Employment opportunities are listed here. If there are currently no positions open that are of interest, please check back at a later date. Alternatively, the Japan Research Career Information Network (JREC-IN) lists available research-related jobs nationwide (including those at Hokkaido University).

3) I would like to use Hokkaido University’s logo. Am I allowed?

The logo may be used under certain conditions. You may refer to our University Logo Guidelines page for more information. Please note that Hokkaido University reserves the right to withhold permissions to use official logos depending on the manner of use.

4) What promotional materials are available concerning the programs at Hokkaido University?

All of our promotional materials are located on our Brochures page. This include our University Guidebook and additional publications (maps, handbooks, etc.).

5) I’m an HR representative and need verification of someone’s diploma/degree. How do I proceed?

Please note that we are unable to disclose personal information about our alumni in accordance to Japanese law (see the Act on the Protection of Personal Information). If the alumnus/alumna in question no longer has their diploma, then they will need to request that their diploma be reissued to them. 

Diploma verification is provided by the department or the school from which the alumnus/alumna graduated. Please directly contact the department or the school in question. The contact information for each department or school should be available on the respective websites. For the website list, click here for undergraduate schools and here for graduate schools.

Necessary documents may differ per case, but we suggest you prepare the scanned documents of following: consent form, diploma certificate, and passport of the alumnus/alumna. Please thoroughly follow the instructions from the department or school.

Contact Us
If you have a question not addressed in this FAQ, please email us at hokkaidounivcontact[at]

Updated on   October 26, 2022