Event | July 07, 2017
This transferable skills seminar is targeted for international researchers (DC, PD), and will be conducted in English.
Developing your vision and self-branding for your career is the most important element of your preparation for the successful interviews. The skill can be useful for any of your inter-personal communications opportunities including job interviews, paper presentation in a conference, public speech, or any presentations.
The instructor and facilitator, Ms. Sachiyo Takaoka has 20+ years of experience in the world of advertising and brand communication. This is an opportunity of your lifetime. Her extraordinary career includes a director of McCann-Erickson and Ogilvy & Mather, one of the world largest advertising agencies which deals with Fortune 500 companies such as Coca-Cola, P&G, etc.
Seats are very limited and are open only for DC and PD international students and researchers. Hurry and register through the Hi-system. This 4-hour session is a great investment of your time for the future.
Personal Branding – Self Branding & Communication Strategy
■ Seminar objectives
- Learn strategic communication and think how you can apply it to job interviews
- Identify your “Self Brand (strength, core value, vision)”
- Find out needs of target audience
■ Seminar schedule
- Icebreaker activity
- Seminar outline and objectives
- What is “strategic communication”?
- Difference between ordinary communication and strategic communication
- Learn from strategic communication in advertisements
- What is a brand? What is Self-branding?
- What is your “core” message?
- Identify your strength, specialty and what you are proud of
- Looking back over yourself using “lifeline”
- What is your belief and values?
- Career role model
- Identify your self-brand statement
- Who is your target audience?
- Define the ideal employee
- Identify qualities your target audience looks for (who is wanted in Japanese company/Non-Japanese company, What is expected from researcher from foreign country/researcher with PhD, etc.)
- How to communicate effectively
- How to tailor your communication with target companies
- The rule of Mehrabian (importance of non-verbal communication)
- Communication that gains understanding, wins sympathy, makes a deep impression
- Complete your Self-brand statement
- Interview practice
- Prepare for most common interview questions
- Share opinions
■ Seminar date
7/7/2017 (Fri.) 15:00-19:00
Hokkaido University doctoral course students and postdocs whose native language is NOT Japanese
■ Max participants
■ How to register
You must be registered in the Hi-System. If you are not yet registered, please do so here. Click here: “Transferable Skills Seminar” and scroll to the bottom of the page and click “申し込む/Apply” to register.
If you do not receive confirmation e-mail in three business days after registering, please contact I-HoP.
Front Office for Human Resource Education and Development/International Human Resource Development Program (I-HoP), Hokkaido University