The following tabulated timeline provides a detailed account of the history of our university.
Please also take a look at an interactive version of our timeline here. This interactive timeline offers detailed information about our past set against a backdrop of historical events which helped shape contemporary Japan.
Sapporo Agricultural College (1876–1907)
|1876||Dr. William S. Clark, then president of Massachusetts Agricultural College in the Unites States is invited to be Vice Principal of Sapporo Agricultural College. He arrives in Sapporo with 2 American professors and 11 students.|
|1876||The Book Stack Room, which would later become the University Library, opens.|
|1877||The Model Barn, one of the first buildings of the university and still existing today, is completed.|
|1878||The martial arts training facility (currently the Sapporo Clock Tower) is constructed.|
|1886||The Botanic Garden is designed and built.|
Tohoku Imperial University (1907–1918)
|1907||Sapporo Agricultural College becomes Agricultural College of Tohoku Imperial University.|
|1909||The historical Furukawa Hall is completed in a French Renaissance style.|
|1912||The grand trees of the university’s Poplar Avenue are planted as a windbreak.|
Hokkaido Imperial University (1918–1947)
The university joins a league of seven imperial universities formed by the Japanese government.
|1919||The School of Medicine is established.|
|1924||The School of Engineering is established.|
|1930||The School of Science is established.|
|1936||Dr. Ukichiro Nakaya successfully produces the world’s first “artificial snow crystal.”|
|1941||The Institute of Low Temperature Science is established.|
|1943||The Institute of Catalysis Research is established.|
|1945||The Administrative Office and the Student Affairs Office are established.|
|1947||The School of Law and Letters is established.|
Hokkaido University (1947–2004)
|1947||Hokkaido Imperial University is renamed as Hokkaido University.|
Under the National School Establishment Law, Hokkaido University is reorganized with the Schools of Law and Letters, Education, Science, Medicine, Engineering, Agriculture, and Fisheries Sciences (Hakodate).
The “Medical Clinic Attached to the School of Medicine” is renamed as the “Hospital Attached to the School of Medicine.”
The Department of Liberal Studies is established (later renamed as the School of Liberal Studies in April 1951).
The Institute of Tuberculosis Research, now known as the Institute for Genetic Medicine, is established.
The School of Law and Letters is divided into the School of Letters and the School of Law and Economics.
|1952||The School of Veterinary Medicine is established.|
The following new graduate schools are established: Letters, Education, Law, Economics and Business Administration, Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, and Fisheries Sciences.
The School of Law and Economics is divided into the School of Law and the School of Economics and Business Administration.
|1955||The Institute of Medical Research is established.|
|1957||The School of Liberal Studies is renamed as the School of Liberal Arts.|
|1958||The Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is established.|
|1965||The School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacy is established.|
|1967||The Dental School of Medicine is established.|
|1970||The Computer Center (joint-usage facility), now known as the Information Initiative Center, is established.|
|1972||The Health Management Center (Health Care Center) is established as well as the Physical Education Center.|
|1974||The Graduate School of Dental Medicine is established.|
|1977||The Graduate School of Environmental Science (stand-alone graduate school) is established.|
|1978||The Slavic Research Center and the Central Institute of Isotope Science are established.|
|1981||The Institute of Language and Cultural Studies, and the Center for Experimental Plants and Animals are established.|
|1985||The Research Center for Molecular Genetics is established.|
|1989||The Institute of Catalysis Research evolves into the Catalysis Research Center (joint-usage research facility).|
|1990||The Slavic Research Center is designated as a joint-usage research facility.|
|1991||The International Student Center and the Research Center for Quantum Integrated Electronics are established.|
|1992||The Institute of Applied Electronics Research is reorganized into the Research Institute for Electronic Science.|
|1993||The Graduate School of Environmental Science evolves into the Graduate School of Environmental Earth Science.|
|1994||The Center for Advanced Research of Energy is established.|
|1995||The Center for Research and Development in Higher Education, and the Environmental Preservation Center are established.|
|1996||The Center for Advanced Science and Technology and the Venture Business Laboratory are established.|
The Graduate School of Agriculture evolves into a Graduate Research School
The Information Processing Center evolves into the Education and Research Center for Information and Media Studies.
The Hokkaido University Museum is established.
|2000||The Graduate School of International Media and Communication Studies is established as a stand-alone graduate school.|
The Creative Research Initiative “Sousei”, the predecessor of the Creative Research Institution, is established.
The new training ship, Ushio-maru, becomes operational.
The Research and Education Center for Brain Science and the Management Center of Intellectual Property are established.
National University Corporation Hokkaido University (2004 to present)
The Graduate School of Information Science and Technology is established as a stand-alone graduate school.
The Center for Advanced Research of Energy evolves into the Center for Advanced Research of Energy Conversion Materials.
The Graduate School of Public Policy, the Faculty of Public Policy, the Research Center for Zoonosis Control, the Admission Center, and the Hokkaido University Archives are established.
|2006||The Center for Advanced Tourism Studies is established.|
The Center for Language Learning, the Center for Ainu and Indigenous Studies, and the Center for Experimental Research in Social Sciences are established.
Sustainability Weeks event is held for the first time.
The Faculty of Health Sciences, the Graduate School of Health Sciences (for master’s courses) , the Research Institute for Information Law and Policy, the Research Center for Environmental Nano and Bio Engineering, the Research Center for Integrative Mathematics, and the Center for Sustainability Science are established.
Hokkaido University is a joint host of the G8 University Summit and establishes the “Sapporo Sustainability Declaration.”
The Center of Education and Research for Topological Science and Technology is established.
The North Branch of the Hokkaido University Library is renamed the North Library.
The Graduate School of Chemical Sciences and Engineering, the Graduate School of Health Sciences, the Center for Environmental and Health Sciences, and the Office for a Sustainable Campus are established.
The Office of International Affairs is established as an administrative unit, into which the International Student Center is transferred.
Professor Emeritus Akira Suzuki wins the Nobel Prize.
The Center for Translational Research, and the Platform for Research on Biofunctional Molecules are established.
The Venture Business Laboratory is renamed the Meme Media Laboratory.
Homecoming Day is held for the very first time.
The Cooperative Veterinary Education Program is established by the Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine and the Faculty of Animal Husbandry, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine.
The Graduate School of Life Science establishes a Clinical Pharmacy doctoral program.
Keizo Yamaguchi named president.
The Office for Enhancing Institutional Capacity, the Center for Food and Medical Innovation, and the Global Institution for Collaborative Research and Education (GI-CoRE) are established.
The Slavic Research Center is renamed as the Slavic-Eurasian Research Center.
The Research Center for Environmental Nano and Bio Engineering is renamed as the Center for Post-modern Socio-metabolic System.
The Center for Translational Research is abolished.
Meme Media Laboratory, the Research Institute for Information Law and Policy, the Center for Post-modern Socio-metabolic Systems, the Research Center for Integrative Mathematics, and the Center of Education and Research for Topological Science and Technology are abolished.
The Arctic Research Center, the Archaeological Research Center, and the Institute for the Promotion of Business-Regional Collaboration (comprising the Center for Innovation and Business Promotion, and the Center for Food and Medical Innovation) are established.
The Catalysis Research Center is reorganized into the Institute for Catalysis.