The pond commonly known as Ono Pond is located between the School of Engineering and the Faculty House on the west side of the central street. Since its establishment in August 2008 as a part of the Eco-Campus Promotion Project, it has attracted visitors interested in exploring the natural environment of the campus.
In March, when snow still remains, the pond is like a tranquil ink painting. When spring comes, various trees and plants typical of Hokkaido come to life around the pond. Wild ducks lured by brightly colored fish rest their wings in the water by the fountain at the back of the pond. On the shore, there are beautiful white trillium, as well as red and white lotus flowers in the summer, and in the autumn the colored leaves sooth the hearts of visitors. There used to be a river here called Sakushukotoni. This clear stream, with its source on the northern side of the Botanical Garden, ran southeast to northwest through the current campus and joined the Kotoni River. The Ono Pond played a valuable role as one of the springs of the river. Today, vestiges of the river can be seen in the creek flowing through the Central Lawn and the channel on the south side of the pond.
Around 1921, after the foundation of Hokkaido University, the area around the Ono Pond was used as a cattle drive site for the Faculty of Agriculture. The pond supplied drinking water for cows and horses on the farm and the Model Barn. In the Showa era (1925 – 1989), research facilities for the School of Engineering and other departments were constructed around the pond. The 1950s and 1960s were a difficult era for the pond as the surrounding area became more like a dumpsite. In the 1970s, Professor Kazuo Ono of the School of Engineering took on the challenge of restoring the devastated pond to its original state. The pond was gradually restored thanks to the professor’s effort, and eventually came to be known as the Ono Pond. Especially in the summer, the pond is now a popular rest area for students, staff, and visitors who want to enjoy the tranquil environment or use it as a lunch time spot.