Temporary Leave and Re-entry

New Special Re-entry Permit Rules

Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and a residence card (a certificate showing application of a residence card is also fine), or alien registration card who will be re-entering Japan within one year of their formal departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. This new change to the law is called a “special re-entry permit.”


Required documents:

  • Application for Certificate of Eligibility (one application form is needed for each member of your family.)
  • Passport
  • Residence card (a certificate showing application of a residence card is also accepted) or an alien registration card if valid.
  • ¥3,000 fee for single re-entry or ¥6,000 fee for multiple re-entry.

Remember to please purchase a value stamp at the immigration bureau prior to submitting your application.

Please note:

  • If your period of stay expires within one year after your departure, you must re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.
  • You will lose your resident status if you fail to re-enter Japan within one year of your departure. You must apply for a re-entry permit if you do not plan to re-enter Japan within the one year period.
  • If you have departed Japan on a special re-entry permit, you are not able to extend that permit while abroad.
  • To apply for a re-entry permit you must do so in person at your local Immigration Bureau.

You also have to obtain permission from your supervisor and inform the Academic Affairs Section at your department about your absence as well as provide your overseas contact information. If you rent an apartment, you must also inform your landlord or real estate agency of your absence. Please pay all rent covering the period of absence prior to your departure.

Updated on   May 01, 2017