Extending Your Period of Stay

In the event you want to stay in Japan beyond your authorized period of stay, you are required to apply for permission to extend your period of stay at the Immigration Bureau.


Required Documents:

  • Application Form for Extension of Period of Stay. The university can fill out this form, please ask the Academic Affairs Section of your department.
  • A photograph (recent passport photo)
  • Certificate of University Registration

1) If you are a research student: a document certifying the nature of your research is required.
2) If you are a special audit student: a document certifying your subjects and number of lessons is required.

  • Transcript
  • Passport
  • Residence Card (or alien registration card if valid).
  • Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted
  • National health insurance card
  • Purchase a value stamp at your local immigration bureau and paste it on the form prior to submission.

Please Note:

  • You must apply before your visa expires. Applications are accepted up to three months beforehand.
  • You must apply in person
  • When documents are written in a foreign language, they must be translated into Japanese.
  • The Regional Immigration Bureau may ask you to submit additional documents to the required documents listed above. Please contact the Immigration Bureau for further details.

Updated on   May 01, 2017