Working While Studying

If you are on a student visa and want to work to cover tuition or other necessary expenses, you must apply for permission. This is officially known as “Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted”.

Please note:

  • You are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week (maximum 8 hours per day during summer, winter and spring breaks).
  • If engaged in activities assisting education or research at Hokkaido University under a working contract, like a TA/RA, permission is not required. However, in the case you are engaged in other activities on campus or have a part-time job off campus, permission is mandatory. If you are unsure whether you have to obtain permission or not, please ask your department or the Division of International Services, 1st floor of the Institute for International Collaboration. When your period of stay expires, the permission becomes invalid. Thus, when you extend your period of stay, you must re-apply for the permit.
  • Be aware that you are prohibited from engaging in part-time jobs that are hazardous or may put yourself at risk such as jobs in adult entertainment.
  • You must receive the permit from the Immigration Bureau before you engage in any paid work. Any paid work undertaken without permission may result in the cancellation of your visa resulting in deportation.
  • You may obtain on the spot permission upon entering Japan under the following circumstances:

1) If you are entering Japan for the first time (those entering Japan with a re-entry permit are not eligible).
2) If you have been granted a student visa with a period of stay of more than 3 months.

Updated on   October 24, 2018